What is the CHS?
The Certified Health Insurance Specialist (CHS) designation was established in 2011 by The Institute for Advanced Financial Education (The Institute™) to raise the bar on professional standards and practice methods of financial advisors in the health insurance sector, and to provide designation holders with expertise in this specialized field.
Advocis is the only education provider for the CHS designation. The CHS is the only health insurance-focused designation in Canada, which strategically positions financial advisors to meet the growing market demand for informed living benefits advice. The CHS designation is conferred exclusively by The Institute, the leading designation body in Canada for financial services practitioners in the specialty areas of Advanced Estate, Wealth Transfer, and Living Benefits. CHS designation holders put clients’ interests first and ensure clients’ financial needs and objectives are fulfilled through the financial planning process.
The CHS designation positions you to take advantage of a growing market demand for informed health-insurance advice, by giving you the knowledge and expertise you need in all relevant areas, including income replacement, disability, critical illness, long term care, and group benefits.
Requirements for CHS Designation
- CHS candidates must successfully complete both Designation Courses (303 & 504) and the Financial Planning Fundamentals for Health Insurance Professionals Program (505)
- Once you have successfully completed all three courses, you must complete a CHS Designation Holder’s Agreement form, pay all necessary fees, and submit your completed Designation Holder’s Agreement form to The Institute in order to hold yourself out as a CHS designation holder.
- If you are a CLU designation holder, you are exempt from the Financial Planning Fundamentals for Health Insurance Professionals Program (505) requirement. However, you must register for both of the Designation Courses (303, 504).
CHS Designation Program Courses
Financial Planning Fundamentals for Health Insurance Professionals Program – 505
The Financial Planning Fundamentals for Health Insurance Professionals Program is comprised of five financial planning modules and is the first program requirement for individuals looking to complete the Certified Health Insurance Specialist (CHS™) Designation program. Once registered in 505, individuals get online access to the following modules:
- Financial Planning Profession & Financial Services Industry Regulation – 911
- Financial Analysis – 912
- Credit and Debt – 913
- Government Benefit Plans – 915
- Human Behaviour – 922
Disability Income Insurance – 303
Critical Illness, Long-Term Care And Group Living Benefits – 504
This course provides a comprehensive review of two special living benefits products – critical illness and long-term care, while considering key topics such as product design, pricing, marketing, underwriting and claims. Group living benefits are examined within the context of providing protection to employees in the workplace, short-term and long-term disability insurance, dental and health insurance, and flexible benefit as well as employee assistance programs.